8/29/12

KNIT A GIANT EAR OF CORN For our upcoming GMO Labeling Awareness YarnBomb

AN EXAMPLE FOR HOW TO KNIT A SUPER SIMPLE GIANT EAR OF CORN


1. Loose knit a yellow "sheet" about 18" long and 15" wide using thick yarn with large needles,
fold in half
(the big stitch keeps the "kernals" big, folding in half keeps the stuffing from showing)


2. Sew together to make a "tube"....

....taper shut at one end.....











.....leave the other end open
 
3. Stuff the Tube (I used recyled fiberfill from an old pillow)
4. Sew the open end closed, tapering

 
 5. Cut, knit or felt Green "shucks" (I used thick flannel material). The stronger the green, the more the yellow corn will "pop".

6. Sew the Shucks onto the corn


This guy is a prototype, he took me about 2 hours total to make. He is 24" long and 4" wide. I think he has a casual jauntiness to him.  Next time I will pay a bit more attention to getting his "kernels" straight.  Also, for my next one, I will cut my shucks wider at the bottom so there isn't quite so much belly sticking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment